Sunday, July 8, 2012

Poetry Update: Bethany Joy Lenz Sheds Light On Her Innermost Thoughts

Although Joy tweeted "Dear Gotye, I Feel Better," the imagery in one of her latest poems proves that it been anything but easy. The overall tone is difficult to swallow and I sincerely hope her words are not meant to be taken literally. However,  If I Am A Ship... seems to be a revival of Joy's inner hopeless romantic. I adore both poems - yet of course for very, very different reasons. Anyone else hoping these poems can transfer over into song? (Yeah, I know I'm not alone...)


June 25th, 2012
Blackout.
Images flash.
Brightly colored moments of chaos.
Blood.
Everywhere.

Swollen eyes, exhausted arms, rubber legs.
I wipe the mud and red from my mouth.
Spit out the dirt. Try to see – to make sense.

There are hundreds of them.
Thousands.
Giants.

They are ancient. And angry.
And I am very, very small.

I have a lot of good ideas,
I know a lot of weak spots
But it’s not enough.

…last call 
Wait for
Hope fore
And expect the Lord.

July 3rd, 2012


If I am a ship,
moor me not
but by season.

If I am a bird,

No comments:

Post a Comment