Friday, March 23, 2012

News Update: Joy & Michael Call it Quits

COUPLE SEPARATES AFTER 6 YEARS 
OF MARRIAGE 

Bethany Joy Lenz & ex-husband
Michael Galeotti
Bethany Joy Lenz (yes, she’s going back to her maiden name) made the shocking revelation that she and her husband of six years, Michael Galeotti will be filing for divorce.

“I'm sorry to say that Michael and I have decided to divorce. We remain friendly and dedicated to raising our beautiful girl in love and we appreciate your prayers and support during this difficult time,” Lenz revealed on Monday through her official blog, BethanyJoy.com.

The couple tied the knot on New Year’s Eve of 2005 and in February of 2011 they welcomed their first and only child, Maria Rose Galeotti. In 2009 the couple pursued an entrepreneurial venture in the form of Galeotti’s Restaurant, located in their hometown of Battle Ground, Washington.

In an issue of Vancouver Family Magazine, Galeotti’s declaration to his family was in tall order for him despite the fact that Lenz spent the better part of each year filming One Tree Hill in Wilmington, North Carolina while he stayed at home recording with his band and running Galeotti’s Restaurant. For six years the couple made it work, traveling back and forth whenever time would allow.

However, the distance was definitely a challenge. “We haven’t lived together in the same place for longer than like three months at a time because of this show,” Lenz stated in an exclusive interview with The CW back in 2009. “So I mean I just want to go home and live with my husband for longer than three months. That would be nice.”

Lenz & Galeotti pose at an event in L.A.
The news of the divorce definitely came as a surprise to all and the news continues to reverberate across the web despite Joy’s reluctance to speak out on such a personal topic. However, most shocking is the timing. With filming for One Tree Hill all wrapped up, Lenz packed up her life in Wilmington to head for the West Coast to be with her family. Unfortunately, due to some unknown circumstances, the couple decided to call it quits but did so on amiable terms.

Whatever the circumstances, Lenz's optimism and good faith underscores her blog post stating that she “feel[s] immensely humbled and grateful that God works all things for the good of those who love Him.” In a 2007 interview with Radiant Magazine, Lenz spoke similarly on her faith and how it’s been a constant in her life. “I’ve always had faith. As a little girl, I saw the world differently than a lot of people I was around. I just always knew that God was with me. I could feel Him. I think maybe being an only child really helped me because I wasn’t distracted from my environment and how it affected me and what it meant about life. I’ve always been someone who looks beyond what I can see.”

Despite the inevitable hardship that is brought on by a divorce, it seems that Joy’s faith will help her see through such a difficult and complicated time in her life. Since the divorce she has attended several events, most recently Zooey Magazine's Relaunch Party. Remarkably she's ever looked as vibrant and confident as she does now. It seems like Joy has been able to pull herself up by the bootstraps and move forward without making any apologies for her ambitious attitude - which is something I truly admire about her.

In light of the recent events, I have decided to end this post with Joy’s poem entitled “Women of Legend” – a poem that perfectly highlights a woman’s immeasurable strength and perseverance amidst pain and hardship.

I wish Joy and her family all the best in the world as they transition through this difficult period. 


O my child, the heart is a perilous thing.
The heart crowns all paradoxes of God;
made of muscle and steel and fire, but frail as the sparrow's wing.

Women of Legend are not born-- they are grown
out of spit and dirt and fire and sweat;
they are not a glamorous flock.

They have grease underneath their fingernails
and wrinkles around their eyes.
They have bruises from too-hard pounding upon their breasts.
They have lines from laughter and their feet are callused
from barefooted adventures and sojourns.

Women of Legend are grown out of the spit and dirt and fire and sweat;
their significance is secured in their steadfast response
to unimaginable pain.
- Bethany Joy Lenz 

No comments:

Post a Comment