Thursday, January 12, 2012

One Tree Hill Episode Review

Galeotti as "Haley James Scott"
KNOW THIS WE’VE NOTICED 
Airdate: Jan. 11th, 2012
Ratings: 1.7 million (.9/2 in key demos, down from last year)

I haven’t enjoyed ONE TREE HILL holistically since season four. These days I only commit myself to mining for the Scott Family drama (you know, the core of the show). However, last night I forced myself to watch the episode from beginning to end. I won’t go into great lengths defending my opinions but I was pleasantly surprised – imagine that!

Overall Episode: C+

WHAT I LOVED

HALEY IS THE GLUE THAT HOLDS: Haley is the only person willing to leave the confines of her bed long enough to socialize with a diverse group of characters, in diverse settings. A lot of these characters are so isolated in their own little worlds, that hearing Alex and Dan, or Brooke and Clay may share scenes is just outrageous. Why would the writers even spend time on that? Oh, that’s right they don’t.

But put Haley in a scene with anyone, anywhere and it makes sense and has substance. Haley is so deeply integrated in so many storylines and invested in the lives of so many Tree Hill residents that the writers don’t need to overcompensate with a contrived montage of her driving around town to remind us her relevance and importance in Tree Hill.

From Brooke and Julian, to Quinn and Clay, to Dan and Nathan, all the way to Chris, Chase and Alex, Haley’s presence reminds fans that all these disjointed stories actually do exist within the same town of Tree Hill.

I thoroughly enjoyed all of Haley's scenes, particularly those she shared with the villainous Dan Scott and the always entertaining “stupid, lying, arrogant, third person talking jerk” also known as, Chris Keller.

My favorite line: "Haley, Chris Keller missed you." (Aw, he does have a heart!)

HARRY JOHSON: Seeing Chris Keller back on our screens invigorates One Tree Hill in so many ways. I love the banter between Chris and Haley and I was laughing my butt off every time Chris would make an inappropriate pass at Haley (“by the way did I mention you look hot?” Yes, Chris. Yes you did, and multiple times. But we love it!) It’s so much fun seeing Haley get all riled up and feisty and I love that Chris is able to bring that out in her because it brings back a fire in Haley that’s reminiscent to Tutor Girl from back in the day.

THE RETURN OF THE MURDERER: I love the chemistry between Joy and Paul and I guess by the transitive property that means I love Dan and Haley; even though it’s so wrong! I refuse to forget that this is the same man that shot his brother dead in cold blood but lord, Paul Johansson makes it a little too easy to tolerate the disturbing fact. His plea to Haley was so convincing and seemed so genuine, I almost felt bad. Although I did regret it afterwards. I know a lot of fans will give Haley hell, but I hope Nathan will deal with this so Haley doesn’t have to on her own.

THE MYSTERY: In the first two minutes we got a flash forward glimpse of Haley identifying a body at the morgue. Throughout the episode we saw Haley get spooked when the front door of the Café and the Scott house were left open. And now I’m left wondering, who the hell these people are! My curiosity is definitely piqued, and I’m ready for the drama that is sure to ensue.

WHAT I DIDN’T LOVE

(Left-Right) James Lafferty and Bethany Joy Galeotti
NALEY: I would’ve enjoyed the Nathan and Haley scenes more if A. they were in the same room, B. they didn’t repeat themselves over, and over again (the dialogue is so dry that hearing Nathan call Haley an “angel” is the most affectionate they’ll get for a while) and C. James Lafferty was shirtless. Just sayin’. It’s been a while.

In short we need to see more of the Scott family and less where Chase & Alex are concerned.

Otherwise, I have no complaints where Haley is concerned. The premiere did her justice compared to the scraps we got in season eight. And I look forward to next week.

MY OUTLOOK: Optimistic

+ Also, I should add that Chris Keller, Dan Scott, Haley James, Nathan Scott, and my favorite Harry Johnson were all trending topics on Twitter last night. I hope the CW takes note of that because the marketing department has been doing the worst job promoting this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment